Travelling on allegorical maps: Peregrine Suite

 A new piece has been brewing in my head for some time now.

The main inspiration has been the idea of travel - yes, dating back to when we couldn’t. How does one travel in one’s imagination?

In lockdown I found myself reading books and listening to audiobooks a lot. All books seemed to involve some kind of travel - whether in time, space, or minds.

And I finally got around to reading J. Bunyan’s “Pilgrim's Progress”.

Which somehow reminded me of M. de Scudéry’s Carte du Tendre

Carte du tendre 300dpi.jpg
 [Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_of_Tendre]


Yes 17th century allegorical maps. 

And then B. Brown’s latest book came out: “Atlas of the Heart”. Atlas!  

Allegorical maps are not the preserve of the 17th century!


That’s where "Peregrine Suite" comes from.


As a suite, it will be a succession of short pieces, some denoting travel, some denoting places.

The thought process leading to this piece has involved a few other research threads, which I’m currently trying to disentangle in my head in order to talk about them in an articulate way. I’ll be sure to elaborate once these threads can be woven together into some kind of intelligible pattern!

I’ll be presenting my current work on this (so far) on Wed 5th Oct 2022 at ODF’s Dance Scratch at Arts at OFS...

In the mean time, here is a short except of rehearsal:

Music: Except from Vivaldi’s Cum Dederit, arranged and interpreted by Nora Fischer and Marnix Dorrestein




Comments